Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week two of training, week six in St Thomas...or the post that should be called, "Amy the Complainer"

It's too hot here. It's too humid here. I hate the bugs, especially the mosquitoes and spiders. And a tiny lizard fell out of my pantry the other day. Just fell out and scurried away before Marlo responded to my screams of horror! He never found it. It probably squeezed into some crack under the cabinets and is just hanging out waiting to freak me out again. Also, in my house I've had a giant cockroach, tiny ants and a huge ass spider. Marlo is still fighting his role as spider killer. Why does he fight it? I'm never going to kill a giant spider. Ever. He needs to just accept it and kill the damn thing instead of saying, "I don't understand why you can't just kill it." I'm never going to kill it. Get over it and just kill the spider. I hate fricken bugs. There...I got that out of the way. That's how I'm feeling right now. I have nothing deep or important to say about my adventure in St Thomas right now. I feeling like venting a bit, then I'll just let it go. It will always be hot and humid here, and the bugs aren't going anywhere. I have to learn to live with the "uncomfortableness" of this big life change.

I'm officially a pony tail girl. No makeup, no jewelry, no decent hair. It's too damn hot and humid here! My hair is a frizzy, witchy, sweaty mess all day, everyday. I fantasize about getting a pixie cut all the time. I sweat like never before, so my skin is always shiny. My wardrobe rotates between three sundresses. I packed a ton of stuff, but I wear the same three lightweight dresses all the time. I don't need my cute sandals and handbags...flip flops and a cross body bag are all you need here. For running, I have two pairs of shorts and ONE tank top that I feel comfortable wearing. I'm learning that it was true when people told us to pack lightly. Ok, there, I got that out of the way, too.

I am meeting some really nice people here. I even met a woman who is also training for the NY Marathon who lives very close to me. Most of the people I'm meeting are connected to Marlo through work. I have met some moms through the kids sailing camp at the Yacht Club (sounds so fancy, but really, it's super casual) and the kids other camp down the street at Magen's Bay. It's good to meet people, but being on the introverted side, pursuing girl friends is a challenge for me. It will just take time, I'm sure. But it's a small island and everyone seems to know everyone else. And I've heard that everyone seems to know everyone else's business. I have to take care with what I say to people.

My marathon training program is chugging along. I managed to get my required 7 miles in early on Saturday morning, even though I had at least 3 glasses of red wine Friday night. Again, it was brutal. Hot, humid at 6 am. In all honesty, it was probably 75 degrees when I started...cold by island standards. I'm just not used to it yet. I am going to have to switch my long runs to downtown in the next few weeks. I cannot continue to run these laps around Magen's Bay. I can get a longer stretch and SIDEWALKS downtown. At Magen's, a big part of my run is on the road. The cars drive on the left side here, so I run on the right side, facing traffic, so I can see what's coming at me. I have played chicken too many times with drivers who either don't see me, or seem to want to mess with me. It's very stressful at times especially because the roads are super curvy with no shoulder. You often can't see what's coming at you. Also, at times, I'm completely alone on the road with woods surrounding me. If I'm not listening to music, I hear a few roosters doing their morning "cock-a-doodle-doos" or I hear random popping and cracking. That is also a bit stressful. I imagine the noise is probably from the many stray cats or iguanas, or mongooses, but I'm always looking out for stray dogs...ugh, pit bulls seem to be the dog of choice around here. I love when another runner or walker goes by me. I always look people right in the eyes and say "Good Morning". Most are friendly and reciprocate your greeting but some are not interested in pleasantries.

Ok...I felt like venting. But even as I type this, I can hear the waves crashing below me. When again in my life will I have the chance to live where I can hear waves crashing?? I see storms passing by in the distance with occasional lightening and thunder. I'm living in a beautiful place. I hope to never take it for granted. I probably will at times, especially when I get consumed with the "uncomfortableness" of island living. But hopefully the sounds of the waves and the turquoise blue of the waters below will remind me to keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment